The Welcome Crew plays a key role in providing a quality transitional experience for all incoming first-year students who participate in the New Student Orientation (NSO) program by assisting with NSO Check-In. Within the Welcome Crew, there are two groups – one group will work with NSO Check-In Only and a second group will work with both NSO Check-In and Welcome Week planning and implementation.
As a member of the Welcome Crew, staff members are expected to:
- Work as a team to execute NSO check-in for over 500 participants daily, including students, parents, and families
- Handle confidential student records with responsibility and care
- Maintain flexibility in a demanding, fast-paced work environment
- Engage students, parents, and family members while providing a welcoming environment
- Assist with other programs within Student Orientation & Transition Programs as needed
Welcome Crew members must be able to be flexible while working in a demanding, fast-paced environment. Members of the Welcome Crew are free to hold other jobs on- and/or off-campus, as well as to take summer courses, as long as they are able to fulfill their Welcome Crew obligations. If another job is held on-campus, total hours worked in one week may not exceed 40.
Members of the Welcome Crew will gain improved work ethic, time management, collaboration, leadership, communication, and public speaking skills; and gain an understanding of careers in higher education. Attire and gear are also provided.
Interested applicants must be a current Penn State student at University Park who plans to be enrolled in the spring and fall 2020 semesters and maintain a 2.5 or higher GPA.